I just learned my friend Gus (whose age I'm not sure of - late 80's i think) passed away last night. I posted a picture of him and a little bit about him in a post last last year, you can check that out again here.
I am sad that he is no longer with us on this earth but also happy knowing he is with his wife Olga. He was devoted to her and it was so hard on him when she passed. He always mentioned her and also his last cat Nookie who was a real sweetie. I know he's with them now and he's probably there taking care of my two Nicky and Sid that passed a few years back also - that's just how he was. He always asked about them and was sad when I lost them.
Not sure on the details of his passing and waiting to hear more. I was supposed to pick him up at the train station Tuesday or Wednesday and did not hear from him. He told me a few months ago, right before he left for his annual trip to Greece and Russia, that he would call me to remind me three days prior to his leaving Greece. I never heard from him so I emailed some friends (he lives upstairs in a house where they have their business) and who had been with him in Greece for two weeks a month or so ago,. They are vacationing in North Carolina so they called Greece, his daughter, and the person in Greece said they put him on a flight to the States on September 30 and also said he had been hospitalized over in Greece!
Oh my, you have to know this man, he never talked about himself and never wanted any fussing over him.
Well they called someone to go to the house last nite to see if he somehow made it home. He was found on the floor, 911 was called, and he apparently passed away last night at the hospital - and that's still unclear if he was already passed.
Oh I wish he would have let someone know he needed help or let us know he was home, but that was Gus.
So I just wanted to say "Goodbye Gus, I am a better person to have known you, thanks for your friendship -- Goodnight"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Joanne ~
I am so sorry to hear of Gus' passing, but what a remarkable man. Still travelling to Greece and Russia at that stage of life! Please find peace in knowing because of your concern, he was found so quickly. How blessed you are to call him a friend.
Hugs :)
Lauren
Oh, Joanne! I hadn't read this before I emailed you! I am so sorry that your dear friend has gone! He is with his wife and kitty and at peace. I can't believe he was still traveling and by himself!
You did a good thing by checking on him when he hadn't called.
What a good friendship the two of you had!
HUGS!!!
Joanne,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Joanne,
I'm hoping your heart finds comfort and healing today by such warm, inspiring, wonderful thoughts of Gus. You are truly blessed to have known him and become such close friends. Thank-you for sharing his story and personality with us. Imagine the world if more were like him! Take care Joanne and know that many thoughts and prayers are with you!
Love and Hugs,
Cathy G
It is hard when we lose someone who has left their place in our hearts.
Debbie
Sooo sorry Joanne about Gus. what a friendship the two of you had. You were both blessed to have each other as a friend! We need friends. I'm sure everyone was greatful for you calling to find out about him.
Oh sweetie:
I am so sorry to hear about Gus. It's apparant, how you talk about him, that he meant a great deal to you and that your life was enriched by his friendship. When you're sad ~~~~~ we're sad.
He sounds like he was a dear man..........
Huge hugs,
Ter'e
Gus sounds like he was such a dear friend. I know he must be very happy being reunited with those he loved. What a blessing it must have been to have known him.
Post a Comment