Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Worth Learning"

On Saturday, I spent the day demonstrating rug hooking at the "Laerenswaert" Festival at the Peter Wentz Farmstead. Laerenswaert is a German phrase that means "worth learning". This is probably the 3rd year I have demonstrated there during this festival and also their Sheep Shearing. The people that run this event are wonderful - always checking on you wondering if you need anything.


Saturday the weather wasn't the best - it was drizzling and raining when we got there not too cold though - we originally were to set up outside the house in front of the garden. We waited for a bit and then set up in the breezeway between the house and the summer kitchen as people were arriving and it was still raining - nothing worse than "wet wool". After the rain finally abated it got cold and damp and then later breezy and cold. Around 2:30-3:00 the sun came out - by that time I was chilled to the bone and then it was time to pack up around 3:30! Regardless, it didn't stop people from coming out - again lots of interest in rug hooking. There were two of us at this event demonstrating which makes it nicer especially when larger groups come by. We set up a few tables with each of us displaying a few rugs to show them different styles and some books on rug hooking and also our guild made some beginner kits in case anyone was interested.




This is the summer kitchen - I went home smelling like woodsmoke - lots of good cooking going on throughout the day - I can't remember it all but they were stuffing sausage casings and cooking it - they made some sortof cabbage concoction - had a PA German name I can't remember, they made squash cakes, scones, they had pickles, cheese, corn chowder on the fire, apple pie, and lots more - The demonstrators were allowed to go in thru-out the day and eat - all served up in wooden bowls, redware, and wooden spoons.


They give tours throughout the house - I would love love love to live in an old house like this - I peeked in the exit and took this pic of the ladies spinning, inside another room was a woman playing the harp, and different things going on thru-out the house -



It was still raining at this point but here is my table under the overhang - i just started setting up and wanted to be a little out of the breezeway so I would have some light to hook - (Yep the Townsend there on the table looks so authentic doesn't it - ROTFL)!




Across the way - there was some teenage girls churning butter and making sauerkraut



This is the table we set up in the breezeway - Karl makes rugs of tavern signs - on the the table we had some books and info on hooking




Here's Karl hooking away on his rug - it's very large and the lion is so cool on this rug - wish I would have taken a pic - he was almost done the rug (Again there is a Townsend cutter - so authentic! LOL)
It turned out to be a not so bad day - I didn't take my camera when I went for a walk but there was a large garden, other people spinning, chopping wood, tending sheep, log splitting, weaving, tape making and more.

I came home and unloaded the rest of the stuff - I then took a bubble bath to help quell the chill!



Later that evening I decided to keep hooking - but had to give it up since someone took my hook AGAIN -

The nerve - he finally put the hook down and fell asleep but really - he's just way too cute to move at this point!



5 comments:

weaverpat said...

What a neat farmstead! The buildings are lovely. The stone wall makes the perfect background for your rugs.
hahaha! I love it!!! At our house you 'can't move a sleeping cat' either!

moosecraft said...

Looks like a wonderful show! I'm another huge fan of those old stone houses... always looks so cozy! A warm bubble bath must have felt soooooo good after a long chilly day!

JoJo said...

I wish I could have attended this festival with you. It sounds like it would have been fun and educational. Love seeing all of the rugs in the pictures, am crazy about the idea of a hot bubble bath and Jonesy is so cute, dozing on your hooking. Bless his little heart.

primitivebettys said...

It looks like a charming even... even with the rain & cold. Jonesy is too cute!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Looked like a fun show Joanne. Yep, that Townsend really tells a story of the past lol. Karl's rug looks really nice from what I can see.