I belong to a rug guild in New Jersey and they are very active with promoting rug hooking and doing demonstrating at these type of events. A few years ago when I joined the guild I offered to help with the ones local to me - which is good because most of the members from New Jersey.
So every Fall and Spring I help out at some of these events and from one event someone will ask you to demonstrate at another. So it can keep you busy on weekends if you agree to them all!
Saturday I was at the Trappe Historical Society's, Henry Muhlenberg House, http://www.trappehistoricalsociety.org/muhlenberg.html
It's not as large as some of the other events but there is always a big turnout. There were lots of "handwork" demonstrators - Spinning, lace making, cording making, tape making, quilting, mending, and of course there were others making shaker boxes, corn shelling, and more. The Boy Scouts were there selling hot dogs and pretzels and ice cream. It couldn't have been a nicer day - the weather was absolutely gorgeous
Most of the handwork was around the tree - you had to watch out though - this tree was laden with acorns and when a good breeze came up - you got knocked in the head with them!


This is Ronnie - I sat next to her last year - She's also a rug hooker - She's braiding silk ties this time. She will also be at the Apple Butter Frolic (another one I will be demonstrating at) and I believe she will be braiding corn husks there which she said the PA Germans used as door mats. Very interesting what you learn at these events.

There was one woman that was extremely interested and turns out she only lives a town over. So I'm going to take a page out of my friend Kathy's book and help her get started. I will lend her everything she needs and give her some wool and linen to get started. She quilts and she said she can draw - thank goodness - so I told her think about something simple she would like to hook to start and I'll her draw the pattern and then I will teach her to hook. Hope she likes it.
Sunday was a quiet day. Later in the afternoon I decided to go lay down in the spare room and read a book - well it wasn't 30 seconds before Riley joined me and curled up at my knees, about a minute later - Jonesy trotted in and curled up on the other side - My husband came in and started laughing and said I was a kitty sandwich - they were snuggled in so tight - there was a nice cool breeze coming thru the window so we had a cover! Well needless to say I think I dozed a bit myself - very unlike me - I am not a "napper" at all! Well later I had to get up just to move - so ran and got my camera - here are the boys oozed into the bed - and yes i was in between them about a minute before that!


8 comments:
Hi Joanne - sounds like a great day - My husband was from Allentown, Pa and their were Muchlenbergs in his ancestry. It really is a small world. Many of the PA dutch thing are so interesting and of such practical use. I hope you had a great day and will share your finding with us when you come to Chambersburg.
What a lovely day to sit and work on hooking and talk to people! And it's great that you can help another interested person become 'hooked' on one of our favorite addictions! LOL!!!
The furry guys look so comfy! But why did Mommy have to leave????
Looks like a wonderful event and perfect weather.
It is nice to go to events like that and meet new people and see different crafts.
Debbie
Glad to hear you are "paying it forward" with helping another learn the art of rug hooking! sounds like you had a wonderful time. It sure was a gorgeous day!
Cats are too cute!
Joanne, it sounds like those shows/fairs are great places for you to demonstrate hooking. I do wish we had something like that going on around here.
Our weekend was spectacular too. Beautiful weather, my normal monthly hook-in and Sunday was filled with watching "The Wild Women of the Frontier" run through their routine.
Then I got to spend two hours watching a "horse wrangler" work with an untrained buckskin on a lunge line. I came home sunburned and filled with so much joy! It was a great day.
This is the time of year when I wish we still lived in Maine. There were so many fairs and venues to attend and I loved to stand there and watch the demonstrations.
It is so kind of you to give your new rug hooking friend some supplies to get her started, it will be a great help I am sure. It's always nice to have someone willing to help and guide you. Maybe one day she too will help a new "hooker".
The corn husk braiding sounds interesting. Sounds like you had a nice day.
You go to some neat places!! Looked like lots of fun and a beautiful day!!! By the way I would like to bring your cats home too!!
Saturday couldn't have been a better day for your festival...one of these days I will get to some of the historical events that are all so close to me. You are sweet to start a new "hooker" on the right path!!! (and I really did have two cupcakes) Judy
Post a Comment