Friday, February 18, 2011

Desert Rose and Cobwebs

Another week has flown by and it's Friday already!  And what a beautiful last few days it's been - Just have to laugh - after the frigid cold and snow of the past few weeks we are enjoying weather in the high 50's and 60's! Today I saw people driving about in convertibles and wearing shorts and flipflops (and the girl in the white see through  tights and short camisole type shirt and no undies - yes that see-thru! Oh my) - and it's only February - Yep I do believe some are pushing it - it wasn't that warm - but it sure was a heat wave compared to what it's been.

The other day I mentioned rearranging furniture so here are a few pics.  Oh the green walls - they've been green about 8 years or so (years ago I guess I watched too many episodes of Trading Spaces) Wasn't too keen on the green but my husband wanted it so I went with it - We had painted a few years after we moved in and the previous owner had stenciling all over the walls and even using "Killz" it came thru - so we painted again a few years after that - so I wanted something darker to cover the stenciling .... (silly me)

I really hate my living room - I would be happy without the fireplace - the areas beside the fireplace are so hard to do anything with - one the left side of the fireplace is the stairway going upstairs, the entrance to the living room, and then the wall area has a pass thru to the kitchen, on the right - the wall is a big double window and a small wall area and then the slider - it's so hard to set up furniture without putting it "at attention" against each wall - just hate it!  Anyway - on the inset area on the right of the fireplace I had 4 tubs of wool stacked up and covered with a quilt!   I repacked the wool and have it crammed in closets upstairs now.  So I moved that little desk and chair I found at a yard sale this summer back there.  Not sure if it's staying yet!  The mantel and shelf is full of treasures from friends (oh and my living is a mix of "styles" as you can see from these couple pics)  - that would be an Edyth O'Neill rug hooking pattern of the whale (not prim at all - I just liked the whale!)  I made that back in 2007. 



I moved the "tupperware" bench (its where I store all my plasticware - the seat lifts up) as we call it into the living room and moved out the deacon's bench - Jonesy is loving it - he lays on it now and never did when it was in the dining room - maximum sun I guess. 

This old wash stand was in the entranceway when you enter my front door - i moved that out and put it on the back wall near the slider - I had an old washtub holder thing there that is now in the basement - not sure what I will do with it.  Oh those hooked rugs are "folk art" style!  and the valance over the window is more country - a mix for sure!


I moved my round end table between the two couches - that tub is the one i'm starting for my niece and yes it's still there!  More folk art hooked rugs, and hey Sherri - there is the "Mouser" rug you were asking about - it's an adaptation of an antique rug.


Thursday Nettie and I took the trip to Grant Street.  For some reason as soon as I get somewhere my shoes fly off my feet - really don't know how that happens.  Anyway - it appears I still do not know how to dress myself - even at age 50!   What a knucklehead I am.

I spent the day whipping my rug and finished it (Yes Kathy, I know it needs to be labeled yet) - the evening I spent cutting wires for an upcoming feather tree class.


There were many people in and out during the day and I apologize again - I did remember my camera but didn't get pictures of everyone and their projects.

Here is Beth working on a punch needle project...


Here's Bonnie and her little chick mat she started...


Diane and her kitty and dog rug - she's doing this in a #4 or #5 cut I believe! - She was really working hard going to town on it all day!

Jackie was working on her rooster rug - the colors are gorgeous in this rug - she really has an "eye" for detail!


Jill was working on her stair riser...


Louis at one point was getting a rub down from Kathy - I couldn't stop laughing - you had to see him in "person" - it looked like his eyes "glazed" over from contentment!  He was really enjoying his butt rub.


Our leader Linda of the Grant Street Gigglers...


Bonnie and Jackie saying goodbye for the evening - you know it's always a good time when this pair show up with their smiles! 


Kathy got SOME work done on her rug - she was busy waiting on people and helping them with colors and shopping most of the day so she didn't even get to sit too much...


Sherri and one of her kitty rugs - she just needs to bind it...


Nancee and her finished house rug - love the ticking as the binding - it's really cool in person...


Okay the next two pictures - don't even know how to explain them.  Just know there was a story being told by Linda and some re-enactments, and Kathy - well at one part Kathy was laughing so hard she was crying and she had me and Barb in stitches. I actually couldn't breath at one point  but did manage to snap two pics...


 

Another wonderful and productive day at Grant Street.

Got home around 2:30 or so and slept in this morning!  Then when I got up I decided it was too nice out to stay in and felt the need to get out and move around so drove out to Ephrata and went to the Green Dragon Farmer's Market - wow it was crowded  - also did my normal and stopped at thrift stores and here and there.  No good finds today though!

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.

14 comments:

Linda Keller said...

It's just too much fun! Are we nuts or what? Kathy laughing is just too funny!!!! She is not a tender blossom, a lotus blossom, a cherry blossom, a rosebud, etc. I would say she is more like a sneaky Virginia Creeper! By the way, I have the most beautiful handrails leading up the stairs to my shop. Let me tell you the story sometime Josie!!!

Constance said...

I love the hooked rugs you have hung on your walls. The patterns are unique and great colors! Thanks for sharing your talents.

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Love all your decorating!! The rugs in your home are great. I like the whale...I grew up in a seaport town, so I'm partial to that kind of stuff. All the different projects are so great to see. Thanks for the peek in!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

OMGSH!!! I love your LIVINGROOM! We are such kindred spirits! I am so glad I am a GRANT STREET GIGGLER!! I love my friends there! and I LOVE YOU JO JO!! BTW, I decided the other day I'm movin my butt and sittin next to you and the Virginia Creeper...I need to cycle around that room. Its kinda like church and your assigned pew!

moosecraft said...

Looks like you are enjoying some energy from Spring fever!!! I was surprised to read the whale rug being 2007... seems like only a year ago, right? Time is just whizzing by... great smiles and rugs from Grant Street!

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

Looks like y'all had a wonderful time!! I'm planning on taking a vacation day later this spring and joining the fun!!

I love the green on your walls but then I'm a "green" person.

I had to laugh at your mis-matched socks---LOLOLOL Menopause Brain Fart!!!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

LOL, I'm still giggling! I shared with George about the re-enactment and me behind Linda. I couldn't tell him without laughing. Tooooo darn funny!
(I sure am getting the nick names, aren't I ? LOL)
Love the pictures of your home and how you have it decorated!!!

WoolenSails said...

Love the decorations and colors you have in your house. Those girls sure do make a lot of beautiful rugs, what a wonderful group to hook with.

Debbie

weaverpat said...

OMG! Our living room used to be that same green with white woodwork! That was back before I decided everything had to be neutral. Haha! It looks great and the whale is so cool!
Thanks for the pictures of all the fun at Grant Street. I hope to get there some Thurs. soon, but life keeps interfering. Zip has music lessons on Thurs so things don't always happen the way I plan.
Is the 'heat wave' burning people's brains? See through outfit with no undies??? Yeesh!!! And then there's the person with two different socks! Yep, definitely the result of shock from temperatures over 30 degrees!
Hope the kitties are enjoying the sun puddles!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Joanne ~
Thanks for sharing your living room with us. I love all the rugs you have hanging, whale included. I want to hook a whale one of these days.
Thanks also for sharing GS with us. You hookers just have too much fun. Lots of great rugs, too.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

JoAnne, What fun you hookers have. I love your house and I also think the whale rug is wonderful.There were so many things to look at. Every one looks like their having a great time! Your pussycats are darling. Cheri

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Such beautifully hooked rugs you have made!
You gals sure know how to have fun!

The Cinnamon Stick said...

I want to come PLAY with you girls...(sad face) cause I don't hook but I can do other stuff right!!!! ( I do think maybe I am too old to stay up that late though)
Grant Street has got to be the best place to "create" together!!

The Cinnamon Stick said...

PS... Joanne....I love all the COLOR in your home!!!!