Well my morning started bright and early compliments of my alarm clock (pictured below)
I thought perhaps I would make a cake to take to Grant Street tomorrow (now I'm not sure if I'm going or not - now what am I going to do with this cake?)
What to make?
I wanted something pumpkin so I decided to "create". My Mom has a recipe for a Sour Cream Pound cake that is always good and everyone loves it so I thought let me tweak that and make a Pumpkin Pound cake.
Here is the recipe for the original Sour Cream Pound cake:
2 sticks butter (1 cup)
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6 whole eggs
3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
Cream butter - gradually beat in sugar. Beat in baking soda, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat in eggs two at a time. Add flour a cup at a time. Beat well.
Pour batter into a greased 10" tube pan (or bundt pan would work). Bake in preheated oven 325 degrees for approx. 1 1/2 hours to 1 1 3/4.
Now my tweaks (oh and these are pretty approx. - I'm an eyeballer!)
I left out the lemon extract
I used about 2 tbsp vanilla
I added a pinch of cinnamon
Instead of 1 cup sour cream I used about 1/4 cup
I added about 10 ounces of canned pumpkin
I now wish I would have added some nutmeg and cloves (forgot that!)
After I baked them I decided I wanted to make a light glaze so I just cooked a little milk, a little butter and some confectioner's sugar with a splash of vanilla and a dump of cinnamon and poured over cakes (Oh i made two- above is for one)
What I didn't mention above is I thought I would toast up some walnuts with cinnamon and a spray of butter and add that to the glaze. Well here's what happened to my walnuts!
Yep the smoke detector was going off, smoke was in kitchen and an awful smell! I forgot about them in the toaster oven! That was the last my walnuts too - So I just laughed at myself and opened the doors and waved out the smoke - Why get bent out of shape! LOL
While I was in the kitchen Mr. Riley was sunbathing - I see he got his basket down from on top of the hutch and placed it smack in the middle of a sunbeam. Smart boy!
Here's a pic of Miles from this afternoon - as you can see he is extremely scrawny. And yes we feed him, as much as he wants - we have done everything possible and he doesn't seem to be suffering so as I said in a previous post - we give him all the love we can.
Hope you all had a wonderful day!






9 comments:
Oh boy, they look delicious even without the walnuts! Love your attitude of just moving on after a misshap like that :).
You are keeping me in suspense about you coming tomorrow. Yes, no? Hmmm, Which will it be??? Can't wait to hear...if you'll be eating that cake by yourself lol!!
I am very glad you didn't really burn down your house. Jeezzz. I do however wish I had a piece of that cake though. I hope that doesn't sound selfish. Have fun and go tomorrow. You will be happy you did. Lisa
Hi Joanne,
Well now you know your smoke alarms work! LOL What a way to test them...... I think there is a flavoring called burnt walnut. Could you use them to make a solution to dye with? Just kidding!
Be careful and enjoy your cake!
Cathy G
Joanne ~
Now you now you must go to Grant Street and share your yummy cake. They look delish!
Glad the walnut mishap wasn't worse.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
Oh gosh those cakes look YUMMY!!! Will have to try your recipe!
Karen
ps.....does Riley have blue eyes?
I'm seeing a trend here.... songs for titles... I think that this morning's post should read "Raindrops Keep Falling on my head"! LOL! Those cakes look delicious even without the walnuts! I do hope you get out to Grant Street today! It will be FUN!
HI joanne -
I love the new look of your blog. It is so easy to read now. The cakes look wonderful - sorry I won't be at Grant St. to try them. It is raining cats and dogs here and I have bread rising in the kitchen. I'll try not to burn the house down! LOL
I have had cooking days like that, especially when I want it to be just right. Kitties love the sun, but my new guy seems to like water, rain and cold. He is calming down but still whines to go out. Next week he gets fixed, so hoping that helps.
Debbie
Well...I had a little taste of the Pumpkin Pound Cake...Tony went crazy over it and ate almost all of the very generous piece of cake (1/2 of it) - but I did get to eat some and it was delish!!! Plan on making it for Thanksgiving...guess I can "eyeball" with the best of them!! XO, Judy
Post a Comment