Cats (at least mine) do not like riding in the car, they do not like being locked in cages, they are boys therefore they do not like change or something out of the ordinary!
I had every intention of documenting the visit with pictures to share with you - but I got so stressed I completely forgot.
For those of you that know me - I do not get stressed very easily at all but when it comes to my "boys" - well maybe I read too much into their feelings but I feel so bad and that makes my heart break! I know some of you understand exactly what I mean and others are thinking "they are just cats". Just my opinion, but if you are going to take on the responsibility of a pet, then that pet becomes a member of your family not just "an animal" to throw food at or pay attention when convenient to you. It irks me when you drive by people's home and they have dogs tied up with a dog box that they leave out year round. Why have the dog then? Anyway, that's not what this post is about!
Here's a pic about an hour before we left of the unsuspecting!
I got the cages out and set them in the dining room - two on the table and one on the bench. Oh my what an ordeal getting them into the cages. Miles this time was easy (he's 17 and he was sound asleep so he didn't wake up in time to fight). Riley was a struggle - he's a strong cat and both my husband and I struggled to get him in - you just can't cage a tiger - he totally lost it and howled and fought! We finally managed. Then Jonesy - he was the biggest surprise to me - He fought like a wildcat and when he got in he thrashed around so hard that the cage flew off the bench and slammed onto the floor - by this time I'm in tears (and we haven't even gotten to the door!) My husband loaded the car with the other two and I'm trying to calm Jonesy (and myself) as I'm walking him to the car! I put his cage up front with me so I could pet him as I drove!
Well on the entire 10 minute drive to the vet (which takes longer due to a bridge being out) they howled and screamed and howled some more. These are sounds you do not normally hear anywhere else - LOL. Well about 3/4 of the way there Jonesy just stopped yelling. He crouched in the back of his cage and had the saddest expression on - no movement, just blank! Again the heart broke.
We arrived at the vet and after two trips I got everyone in and checked in. We waited for the exam room - I had the door to Jonesy's cage open and he wasn't responding to me at all - just sat there with this unbelievable sad look like he was extremely mad or sad - I talked to him and no response. Normally he's the friendliest most outgoing kitty and loves people! Then i got to thinking. Jonesy was 3 months old before I adopted him. Did he think because he was in the cage he was gong back to the SPCA? Again - me reading more into things I suppose - but who knows what his life was like for those 3 months.
Riley on the other hand was batting his head at the cage door and purring and giving me "kisses". There was a young teen in the waiting room that saw Riley's face and fell in love with him - she was taking pics of him with her cell phone and talking to him and he was eating it up!
Miles was just shaking in his fur and purring - he often purrs when he's scared .
Just have to say, it's really too much to take all three alone at the same time!
Anyway - we get into the exam room and the tech wants each out of their cage to be weighed. Well Miles was first- the poor guy only weighs 5 pounds (more on him later) - Jonesy was just a rag doll - still unresponsive - he didn't want to come out of the cage, and Riley - he was all over the tech saying hello and wanting to roam - got him weighed and thought the heck with it - let him roam until Dr. W comes in. Well Riley really surprised me - he "embraced" his visit at this point - he checked out the entire room - checked out the sink area and all the supplies, the table, the scale, under the table, under the bench, he kept checking on Jonesy, kept jumping in my lap for a rub and a kiss and was really being a good guy!
First up was Miles - Riley of course had to help Dr. W with the exam and also with his paperwork - I kept trying to keep him away but Dr. W said it was okay! Well as you know we have been having quite a time with Miles and his "throwing up" and not knowing what's wrong. We had so many tests done previously - well we are getting another round of them done. The doctor took blood, urine, and xrays and will call me on Monday. His plan on action is that if it isn't diabetes (was not before) , or perhaps his thyroid (if so then he will be put on medicine for that), then he's thinking perhaps an irritable bowel and he will be put on a round of prednisone which will help if his digestive track is inflamed. Also his hips are very arthritic so this will help with that too a bit. So at least we have a hope something may work.
Next up was my limp rag doll Jonesy - he checked out perfectly - again no response to him - he just sat there (like i said - my heart kept breaking over this!) He got two shots and didn't even budge - Riley watched intently was Jonesy was being checked - it was so cute like he was protecting him.
Then Riley - same as Jonesy - two shots and they were all good to go.
Packed everyone up - got them back out to the waiting room and then Riley and Miles start howling - everyone was looking at them - Felt like a mother with unruly children! Had to wait to pay the bill and I'm looking around at all these other people with cats in cages - not a peep out of them! Why were mine being disruptive? LOL
So loaded everyone in the car and started home with lots of "singing" going on. About 3/4 of the way home, Jonesy starts in - and as much as I couldn't take the howling and yelling, I was so happy to "hear" him!
When they got home, my husband was waiting on the stoop to help me take them in - well you should have seen them all shoot out of the cages like a cannon when they got home! He had their dinner waiting for them and after a belly full, and a full exploration of the house (you know in that hour and half things could have changed!) things started to get back to normal!
I am extremely happy to report that Jonesy is back to his normal self ! Hopefully he knows he has a forever home with us! Riley has been severely glued to me the past few days (guess to make sure I don't go near the cages again) and Miles has been sleeping !
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Again - be sure to check out my give-a-way post here and be sure to sign up.




8 comments:
Joanne, thank you so much for your comments. I really enjoy rug hooking. I am excited to progress in the craft. I appreciate your comments of using different values in the flowers. The thought of taking out the flowers and re-doing them is a bummer...I would rather make a new quilt than ripe out and redo...but that is just me. It has been an interesting transition between quilting and hooking. Thanks again for stopping by my site. Hope you will stop again. Lisa
Oh My!!! I think the vet trips are harder on us (almost!!) than the kids!Mine hate the car and the cages too! And scream the whole way (20 minutes).
Poor Jonesy! He may have been remembering the surgery trip too. Was the neutering his most recent vet trip??? That's one they don't forget!
At least Riley was having an interesting time!
I hope they can make a diagnosis on Miles and treat him accordingly. Didn't know cats could get irritable bowel.
Try to relax not that the dreaded vet trip is over! Give those guys hugs from us!
Joanne,
It's so nice to see someone who "gets it" with owning pets! We are the same with Smokey and Max our two Bichon Poodles. Trips to the vet ( of which there have been countless ones with Smokey being diabetic etc.) are getting better but still stressful. I try stress management for myself before going and this seems to help a lot. It has to start before going out the door because animals really pick up on that stress level just by our actions etc. Sure hope things progress smoothly for Miles. I can just visualize them shooting out of those cages! Home Sweet Home! LOL
Cathy G
Whew...Glad that is over for awhile for you and all your boys!
Geeez! I need a bowl of chocolate and a nap after reading this... what a day for those kids! Glad they are back to their old selves again! :-)
oh, the poor cats. If it's hyperthyroid with Miles...an easy fix and not too expensive, either.
As for the trip to the vet. I've never had cats, only dogs...and they have all always loved going to the vet.
When I worked in private practice, I saw nervous and traumatized owners/cats often.
Sometimes...SOMETIMES...the cat (or dog) is picking up on the owner's nerves/emotions about the visit.
Just sayin'.
I feel for ya, girl.
Joanne ~
Whew! You stressed me out. Glad you and the furbabies made it home without incident! Hopefully they can find out what's up with Miles and get him on the road to recovery.
Hugs :)
Lauren
That is why I make Bill take them, too much for me to watch, lol.
Debbie
Post a Comment