Friday, May 29, 2009

Wednesday "Shaped" Up to be a "Cherryific" Day at Grant Street

Well I have to tell you about my day on Wednesday - It was so much fun. It will mostly be pictures because I'm sure most of you read Kathy's blog and Jill's Blog (see Rugs of Mine...in Time and Jill of All Trades down the right side) then you have already seen some pics and heard some stories!

On Monday afternoon I got an email from Kathy saying that Pat and Linda of Grant Street Woolworks were going to have an all-day hook-in on Wednesday and did I want to come. Not sure if she was just being nice but it took me all of two seconds to reply Yes! So now she's stuck with her offer! LOL! Now this is in Chambersburg, a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live here in Eastern PA (and Jill you were about 45 minutes off - not in Reading but more "southeast" maybe? Heck who knows, I'm geographically challenged anyway!

So of course that day had to be overcast and drizzly - what would a day be going out to visit with Kathy than overcast weather! One of these days when it's beautiful and sunny I'm going to jump in my car and drive to her house just to say I saw the sun shine in Shippensburg
! I drove to Kathy's house and we hopped in her new little "girl" and off we went to Chambersburg to Grant Street Woolworks. We got there a little after noon and were greeted by Pat and Linda. They had to continue working since it was a work day but it didn't stop the fun from beginning. When you go to Grant Street Woolworks you know it will be a good time as soon as you step into the shop! For one thing Linda and Pat are so welcoming and make you feel at home and to be surrounded by all that wool and those supplies (I don't think there is anything a hooker would need that can't be found in their shop!)

Pat finished her flower basket rug - it's gorgeous - this pic doesn't do it justice. The background she dyed for it is beautiful - very antique looking:

Last time I was at Grant Street - Rick and Linda showed up how crazy Louie gets for her "for show" sheep - he wants them so bad. So a few weeks ago I was in the local pet store stocking up on cat food (they were having a big sale) and saw this adorable curly sheep dog toy and immediately thought of Louie so I mailed it to him. Linda said he loves it and she thinks he's thinking he got over on her by getting her sheep. Too funny this little toy is almost as big as him! He's adorable for sure.

Louie, Bo, and Rick were leaving for the night - so Louie made sure he and his sheep were in the elevator for the ride downstairs:
Here's Kathy actually working on her camp rug - this was taken later in the day - the first part of the day is spent doing circles around the store touching and feeling and drooling on the wool:

Not sure what Kathy was doing here but maybe she was trying to teach everyone a dance move - maybe the "Makerena"????

Jill is too funny - she is always laughing and smiling! What a goober!


Jill and Beth listening intently to one of Linda's stories while they are working (notice Jill smiling again!)


How many Hookers does it take to cut a piece of wool?



Linda treated us to pizza for dinner (thanks Linda!) ! So everyone put down their hooks and grabbed some pizza!
Sisters Beth and Jill - Jill is really enjoying her pizza here!


Here's Linda and Beth working on something! Maybe long division? Who knows? (Oh and Beth you take great photo's - don't know why you are hiding!)

Patty is gathering up her supplies to leave for the evening. Ahhh poor Linda she looks tired - all that writing up of sales wore her out....
I also met Sherry again at the hook-in - Sorry Sherry - but the pics I took of you were all blurry! Sherry was working on an adorable cat rug (one of my favorite subjects) I think it was a Bev Conway rug - Cats and Stars. Then she put that away and pulled out another one to finish off. Really nice rugs! Patty had finished a great purse (i believe the pic is on Kathy's blog) Loved it! I believe that was the first time I met Patty.
We had a lot of laughter throughout the day - lots of stories and interesting subjects! I mean really where else can you go to learn some new hooking techniques, learn about local ghosts, how to pick locks, effects of fruit - cherries in particular, snaps in curious places and more!
Everyone left except Kathy and I and Linda - we sat around and chatted until nearly midnite! Hard to believe the day went by in a blink! And yes I did get a few loops pulled!
After we "closed up shop" Kathy drove me back to her house - thank goodness Kathy is a good driver that knows her roads - it was so foggy you couldn't see the end of the car! I got in my car and crept out to the highway - a little bunny ran in front of me but thank goodness i saw him coming in the headlights thru the fog - once i got about 10 miles out of Shippensburg the fog really lifted - thank goodness - it's kinda eerie driving a distance thru fog - gives you a weird sense! My drive home is 2 1/2 hours and I pulled into my parking space at 2:39 a.m.! It was worth it though - didn't have anything planned the next day so got to sleep in.
Well it's worth the drive out there - it's such a nice laid back relaxing time - no stress whatsoever! I really enjoyed myself! So thank you girls for inviting me!
Today I decided to take a drive out to Ephrata, PA - there is a farmer's market called "Green Dragon". I was highly disappointed. Haven't been there in a long time - used to be lots of antiques and misc. flea markety type stuff but now it's basically t-shirts, sunglasses, bras, socks, and more of the same. Sure there are veggie and flower stands and lots of food but it really changed. Not a whole lot of USA made things - mostly imported - even in the "Amish" stands - hmmm Amish with a tag "Made in China". It was really crowded too. So I decided to leave and went to the thrift stores I like in the area, and there were tons of roadside stands to stock up on fruits and veggies and flowers. Ran out of time to go to the antique stores I like but will save them for another day. Always somewhere new to explore in that area.
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend - Stay cool - Joanne

6 comments:

weaverpat said...

Hi! I was so glad you came to the hook-in!! I had such a good time talking to you! Your cats are adorable!! Love those spots!!! I know it's a long way to drive, but I hope you come again soon. Ever think of moving to this area??? LOL!

weaverpat said...

Oh, I just noticed the "shaped" bit. Every time I think about that thing I have to laugh!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Great post Joanne! Love the pictures too. Hmm, don't know what I was doing in that picture either. Certainly does look like a dance move, but no one wanted to join in with me. Will have to wait and get Jill to do a video of us doing it, THEN maybe everyone will join in lol. It certainly was a good time, and I'm so glad you ventured out this way. We must get you here on a clear day. The sun really does shine in Shippensburg too! I just wonder when I come out your way next month sometime how the weather will be lol.

Beth said...

you are so bad joanne all this pics of me in various poses (showing all my fat and wideness, your pics remind me to be stricter with the diet, especially the one with me walking away with pizza) ill get you back!!LOL!! i guess with this crew im going to learn to enjoy getting pics taken???? you are so funny and guess what im going to get some cherries today, you made me hungry for them??!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joanne, It was great seeing you again. Beth and I wasn't doing long division__She was giving me Jills's husband's cell phone number and I was telling her where to get deep discounts on cherries. If Beth is going to do the cherry thing she should go snapless. I didn't know that Kathy could dance!!! What she can't do! A hooker and a dancer, there is alot we don't know about that girl!!!!! Hope too see you soon and thanks again from Louie for the sheep.

Anonymous said...

okay..i am still laughing at your title~~I would have totally missed this blog entry if it wasn't for Linda's comment on my blog!! Okay by the way....I AM LIKE LARGE FREAKIN MARGE IN THESE PICTURES....and now i know i have gone completely crazy becasue i am actually laughing outloud about it!!!!okay....so i think....Kathy is scratching her butt in these pics :-)