Friday, August 26, 2011

Just Because

I have to tell you about a wonderful person that lives in Washington state.

It all started last year when I hosted a give-a-way on my blog to win an antique adaptation rug (you can read about it here).

Well my boys Jonesy and Riley picked the winner.  I must say these boys knew what they were doing when they picked Julie!  (You can read her blog here). 

Julie has now become a "forever friend" even though we have never met in person.  I can't tell you how supportive, friendly, fun, TALENTED, and more she is!   She is definitely a person you want in your life!   I can tell thru her emails she's always there with a smile even when things are bringing her down in her life.  I am so happy to have "met" here!

Which brings me to this.

I received a box in the mail on Saturday.  I was out all day and forgot my husband told me I had a package so it wasn't until Sunday when I found it and opened it!

Julie sent me the most wonderful gift made by her own hands.  The gift is great but the thought behind it is what is so special.  Basically, "just because".  You see she read on blogs recently about the "Pay It Forward"  where you would send gifts to others that signed up.  Well she liked this idea but decided to do her own thing rather than sending randomly to signer-uppers!  She chose me as one of her recipients!  I can't tell you how special it made me feel to receive a gift "just because"!  Along with the sweet letter she sent me she made me two stump dolls and a strawberry - she had asked me my favorite color - "red" - and of course from past posts she knew I liked ticking!

Aren't they wonderful...


I have a tree that is always up in my dining room where I will hang the strawberry and the dolls (after I clean and dust) I will be displaying them on an old child's barnwood rocker with a penny rug.  Wish you could see these in person - her handiwork is perfect!  As I told you before, I have no other words than Thank you for being you Julie! 

I am glad I started a blog - sometimes I think why do I even bother to blog - i have nothing to say, and then I sit back and remember I have met some wonderful people in blogland - which outweighs the negativeness of some others I have known. Also, that meeting these "kindred spirits" thru the blogs and then actually getting to meet some in person is what makes it special! So I'm sure Julie and I will met some day even though she's way on the west coast and I'm at the other end on the East!

Been busy this week - Monday I had to get my car inspected so I dropped it off in the morning and walked to my parents (they live about 1/2 mile from the car place) Decided to spend the morning there waiting for my car so I took some thing to work on - I finally got the backs stitched on these pumpkins - I used a wool that had gotten to thick from overdyeing on the back and just hand stitched that on and stuffed.



I also finished a special order pillow - a sheep - so stitched the back on that and stuffed too - forgot to snap a picture!

Tuesday I went out to 'shop' with Judy of the Cinnamon Stick.  It was fun watching her buy for her shop - she got a lot of fall and Halloween goodies for sure!  While we were having lunch our ice teas and table began to shake and vibrate!  We thought it was someone working across the street on the construction site but nope - it was the "earthquake" that hit Washington, DC/VA area! Wow all the to PA and beyond!  Never felt an earthquake before - weird for sure.   My husband said his desk "swirled" at work and when I got home those wire cubes on the one wall I just put up were about 4-5 inches away from the wall.  Not saying that was it but they were against the wall when I left.  I wonder how the "boys" fared - they say animals sense these things!

Wednesday I went out shopping for some wool - heard about a store that had some cheap - I need wool to hook-thru to make more pillows - I use wool that's not "tight" enough fro hooking and have used up my supply - I used to have more but gave most of it away (kick, kick, kick) but that's okay - I found 3 1/2 yards of a beautiful wool at the Care & Share and also this store that carries wool (Mostly for clothing - not suitable for hooking) i did find some that I can overdye and use.  So now I have 6 yards to play with - should keep me for a day or so -just teasing!

I finished these  mats....





And today they went to live at the Cinnamon Stick - hopefully not for long - hopefully they will find their "forever home" with someone! LOL!

So that was my week - Now they say we have to "batten down the hatches" for Hurricane Irene".  Not sure what we are to expect - they are saying some flooding, maybe losing power, high winds - all a waiting game but it's supposed to be so much worse of course in the coastal areas - so much so they have already had mandatory evacuations in the shore towns and even the casinos in Atlantic City have closed! Wow! Don't think that ever happened before!

Wishing everyone a safe and dry weekend!

15 comments:

HomeSpunPrims said...

Joanne,
Julie is a dear long distance friend to me also. She is a special person who inspires others with her good attitude about life even with her health issues. Her gifts to you are perfect. I know you will enjoy them as much as she enjoys the beautiful hooked rug she won from your giveaway.
Love all your hooked pieces. You do such beautiful rugs, I'm sure they will sell lickety split at the shop.
Can't imagine how an earthquake feels and to be honest I hope I never have to find out! hugs, Lori

WoolenSails said...

What wonderful gifts, perfect for a grouping.
Love your little mats, I need to do small ones, I never finish the big ones lately;)

Debbie

Jacque. said...

What wonderful gifts!!! Those hooked rugs are so fun and they should sell well.

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Joanne
I know exactly how you feel about blogging, I get the doubts creeping in every now and then. Why do I do it, would anyone really miss me if I stopped, that kind of thing. But then I get a flow of inspiration, some nice comments and I'm away again.

I do hope you are going to be okay with this hurricane on the way, thankfully we don't suffer from such extreme weather over here, just rain and damp in the winter. It must have been a bit spooky feeling the tremor.

Keep safe
Briony
x

Kathy (woolfind) said...

I"ve visit her blog often. Beautiful work. Love her gifts to you :)! And so sweet. Women need friends, no matter how close or far. So glad you found a friend in Julie! I hope one day that you two do meet!!
You have been busy with your hooking. I'm sure Judy will be saying "Joanne, I need mooooore" :) All sold!

Julia said...

I love those little perks of blogging... It's nice when someone takes the time to send little gifts from the heart. Blogger friends are special and if we get lucky we get to meet them.

I'm glad that Julie is now a dear friend of your and I hope that you to will meet some day.

Your prim rugs are beautiful. Stay safe and have a great weekend. JB

Ann said...

Joanne, I'm glad that you blog, I always visit you - maybe not always commenting. I love to hear and see the boys and ofcourse what you are hooking. I was actually thinking of you last night as I worked on my rug project - thinking - how are you so prolific at this craft? I realize you have been hooking longer than me and I'm sure your speed increases the more you do it. Please keep posting! ~Ann

moosecraft said...

LOL! I was thinking of you when I heard that AC closed!!! :-) We have a generator to keep the sump pump going... other than that we just have to wait it out... hopefully everyone will be safe and the flooding will be less than what's expected! GREAT stump dollies!!! It sure is nice to receive such a thoughtful gift from a caring person! :-)

Doris said...

Joanne, love the dolls that Julie made. Really nice. Sounds as tho you have had a busy week! I must be numb - never felt the earthquake but I have girded for the hurricane - candles out, flash lights ready, and Eloise is laying next to her "hidey hole" ready to get under the bed at a moments notice. Take care and be safe.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Joanne, Love those dolls.I agree I love blog land I have met many a nice person. You have been very busy. Earthquakes are not fun. In California I have grown up with Earthquakes every once and a while but the last one we had went on an on. Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Joanne ~
What great goodies from Julie!!! I remember that rug she won. It was supposed to be mine...lol :)
Love all your little mats. I need speed hooking lessons from you!
I hope Irene doesn't affect any of my blog friends!
Pug(less) hugs :)
Lauren

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I so agree about the blogger friends. I would have felt so lost with my recent move if I didn't have a goodly amount of lovely folk to cheer me on and ask how things are going. Plus, getting cool packages in the mail is wonderful too! I love your mats. They are totally cool! Stay safe and have a great weekend!

The Cinnamon Stick said...

First....Julie if you are reading this I know for a fact how you touched Joanne's heart. She is ALWAYS giving (just her nature) and gets so overwhelmed when an act of kindness comes back to her - your dollies and strawberry are so special to her!
Now for the hooked mats....THEY ARE SO MUCH MORE WONDERFUL IN PERSON..Joanne's camera did not capture the great colors of wool she used. Next time I "make" it to the store I will take pictures and post - cause they are sooooo special and beautiful!!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Oh Joanne, thanks so much for your sweet post!! I am SO HAPPY you love everything and that you even have special places for them all!!
It was a TRUE PLEASURE to be able to surprise you and know I am blessed to call you friend!! It is also nice to see all the other sweet comments from fellow blogger friends!! I feel SO BLESSED!!
Enjoy, my friend!! You deserve it!!
Big Hugs~~
Julie

kelley said...

what special gifts from Julie...I think blogging has brought many friends in to all our lives...I feel blessed to have met so many dear folks with a kindred spirit...

as always, love your little mats...