Wednesday, January 19, 2011

MacArthur Park

Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it

'cause it took so long to bake it

And I'll never have that recipe again

Oh, no!


Symbolic or not - never did understand those song lyrics nor liked the song!

Anyway - I didn't leave my cakes out in the rain but either way I have a big flopped but tasty mess.

Yesterday afternoon I decided I had to have a piece of funny cake.  Yep funny cake you may ask, what the heck is that?  I believe it's a Pennsylvania thing - Amish breakfast cake sort of thing.   The funny part is when you make it your cake part is poured in a pie crust then you pour chocolate sauce over top and when you bake it the chocolate part magically appears between the crust and the cake part - Got that? Anyway - it's one of my favorite

I decided to use a frozen roll out pie crust (have always made my own) since I got them free from Wegmans a few months ago and tossed it in the freezer until I decided to use it.  I doubled the recipe and forgot the recipe calls for 10" pie plates and I have 9" and not deep dish - so I had extra - so then being lazy, I didn't feel like making extra crust I found these phyllo dough shells in the freezer and filled them (originally was planning on making something else with these and never did).  While I was doing that I had forgotten my chocolate sauce on the stove and it was bubbling away - no problem, right?

So i pour the chocolate sauce over everything and in the oven they go...



Don't they look nice! 

Well no pictures of the flop but they look exactly like the above except baked.  First time in all my years making funny cakes the chocolate didn't sink - funny joke on me huh?  I'm thinking now that maybe I over boiled the chocolate sauce cause it was kinda thick.

Now my second "grrrr" of the day is I have to stop baking - My oven is definitely on the fritz - Like I said my funny cakes always come out perfectly - never had a problem - this time they are lumpy and took forever to bake and then had to keep spinning them - not everything was baking - Okay my oven's 26 years old - is it time?  My husband said "he'll fix it" - that it just needs a new element - Okay Dear, three of the top three burners only work half the time too  - DH says to use the tongs and just make sure the elements are pushed into the socket thingies - Hmmmm again - should an oven be this much work - Me, I like to put something in, set the timer, and take it out and enjoy it's beauty (Think 50's housewife in pearls and heels holding a pie smelling that aroma - but me in sweats and a t and hair all askew!)

So anyway - this morning I will be enjoying a cup of tea and a big chunk of funny cake that's funnier that it should be! 

Another thing I did yesterday was finally iron my tree skirt my Mom make me in 2004 (Hey Kathy - she labels everything!)  Isn't it cool - I washed it about 2 weeks ago and kept forgetting to iron it.  Love it - I have a twig tree up in my dining room year around so this is what I use it around.  Can't image how you quilters do that and have the patience with all those little triangles!  (Oh and Riley did take a nap on it until i yanked it out from under him to tie around the tree!)


And speaking of Riley - he's my crazy man for sure.   I think I mentioned before how he's so obsessed with helping to put the DVD in the TV - well it's side loading and I just missed the shot of his paw pushing it in!


And another obsession - Could someone please call Candy Finnegan?  My cat needs an intervention!


This boy is addicted to his treats - Mind you he had treats at around 10:30, then again another few around 3:30 - then again around 8:30 - and this was him throwing the package at me over and over again around 10:30! 


But with all his craziness he's my boy - Always helping out - Needed to find a box to mail to my secret swap partner and Riley tested it for durability!  The package is all packed up and downstairs for my husband to ship this morning from work.  Hmmm, wonder where Riley has been?

8 comments:

Jacque. said...

Funny about your funny cakes! I think Riley is related to Tag. Think I've said that before. I'll send you a link for the cake lyrics via email.

Doris said...

That Riley is just too cute. Isn't it wonderful how our pets give us a laugh each and every day! Makes life such a pleasure. I'd love the receipt for funny pie - sounds good and oozy.

Anonymous said...

I want that recipe pleeeeaaaase?!?!? That really stinks you need a new oven!! I hate buying appliances!! Dont buy anything expensive!! It wont last any longer than the cheap ones!! I promise. When we moved in the house I bought top of the line everything!!! BIG MISTAKE! WASTE OF MONEY! 4 yrs later we have repaired almost every piece. Danny is such a redneck ...when we bought the stuff he told the salesman at Spichers...If any of these break down before 10 years you will find it on the porch of the store with bullet holes all through it! LOL I was so embarrassed. So now when he goes in for a part he said the sales guy looks scared and goes the other way!!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Oh Joanne, for as much baking and cooking that you do, you deserve to have something that isn't so frustrating. Tell Phil we ALL agree that you need a new stove :). Riley is too cute with his helping out.

The Barn Door said...

Riley is so darn cute!! Hope he didn't get boxed up to be mailed!!
Karen

weaverpat said...

I hope the funny cake tasted good even if it didn't turn out as planned. Even half-baked chocolate is....well, chocolate! It can't be bad, right???
Looks like Riley had a very productive day. What a busy boy he is! Kitties sure recognize a bag of treats when they see them!!!

moosecraft said...

You should go out and buy a new range today! Reason being.... you actually USE it! lol! Love that tree skirt your Mom made and the boys are soooo dang cute!

Nettie said...

Joanne… your Riley is so cute and playful. I know how much you enjoy him. So you wore out your stove. I can see why you are always baking such good desserts. I will never wear out my stove or oven because you know how I feel about baking ,if I bake it makes too many dirty dishes and I hate doing dishes. I even have a dishwasher and that does not help. And if I bake I usually land up eating all of it, and that is not good.