Friday, May 14, 2010

Down and Out...

Well I certainly didn't mean to not post for over a week but just been down and out ...with a bad cold!   Last week my husband was home from work ALL week with a bad sinus infection/cold - He had it for about 2 weeks and still does - he decided to share I guess - I did my best to not get it but it found me! 
I can generally tell - always starts out the same - runny nose and sore throat and then gradually gets worse and worse.  Well most of this week has been lost because of this and the only thing getting any activitiy is my tissue box (and i've been thru several boxes) and my cough!  I haven't picked up a hook or anything and I'm so itching to start on an order I got - to design and make chairpads - 10 of them!  I have the basics of what is wanted and since she likes my "style" - I have free reign pretty much - So i'm anxious to get started on  first getting them drawn up, wool dyed and then hooked!  But like I said haven't felt like doing much of anything!

Anyway - last Saturday I spent the afternoon with 5 other members of my guild demonstrating rug hooking at Mercer Museum in Doylestown, PA.  It was a great day - lots of people seemed interested and I brought in my frame and Cheryl had a piece of Monk's cloth so we let people try their hand at it - if you ever do demonstrations this is a great way to help - people just love to try it!  We were inside the museum and missed the wind storm outside that went through and knocked out the lights (ours just flickered!) Then it was just windy and sunny, but who knew being inside the "castle"!  (You can check out the museum at http://www.mercermuseum.org/)

Here are some random pics of the day - most didn't come out too clear...

Dee and Joyce taking a break from hooking and Carol sitting in front of the frame trying her hand at hooking (she works for the Museum).  Dee was working on a large rug that her hooking group is making as a friendship rug - wish my pic would have come out - it was really interesting - there is a large circle for all  members past and present of the group and then some working around the entire thing).  Joyce was working on a rug that was given to her by a family whose mother had passed and she was finishing this rug.   Again not all my pics came out so none of them.


Annie talking with a guest and Cheryl cutting some wool (check out our Guild's website http://www.hcrag.com/ and under Hooker of the Month you can read about Cheryl - she is this month's hooker!  She has some great rugs she brought to display and was working on a very interesting one for a chair cushion and back of rocker set.  Oh, and in case you are interested  I was October 2008 Hooker of the Month)


Here's Karl talking with someone - Karl does a lot for the guild and you can often find him demonstrating the craft and/or teaching.  People really enjoy talking with him and seeing a "man" hooking.  He's very versed on the history of rug hooking and always has a story with his rugs. 


After I came home I just knew I was coming down with this cold but Sunday I had given my word that I would help out at the store where I sell some rugs since the Village was having their "Spring Fling".  I spent a few hours passing out some "wine slushies" to the adults and talking with people.  And then came home and crashed.  Monday I didn't feel good at all  and to top it off I had an interview to go to - I drugged myself up and went - I mean really, how do you call in sick to a job intereview??? Truthfully I felt so bad but made myself go since jobs to apply to are so few and far between.  They did tell me that over the weekend they had over 700 applicants for this position come in via email - Things are really bad in Pennsylvania!  Can only image going thru that many resumes.

The other night I was tired of being cooped up in the house so armed with tissues, cough drops and dauber decided to go to bingo - It was worth it - I won $263 - LOL - I did have a minor coughing spell but the embarassment of that was over by the time I left that evening with more money than I came in with!  Plus it was good just getting out and seeing friends and laughing.

I did miss going out to Grant Street on Thursday - just didn't want to "spread" the joy of this cold that seems to think it's found it's permanent home (NOT!).

Today I had all these grand plans of getting out my linen and to start "designing" but just couldn't do it - still have that heavy headed clogged up head and coughing so just been reading and watching TV.  The weather got really muggy after some chilly weather (i keep hearing how people lost vegetable plants and spring plants in the frost the other night).  This weather is crazy. And once again - it's taking a toll on the kitties..

"Jonesy"...can't you please turn on the AC instead of that darn ceiling fan - it's just blowing the hot air around...


Well guess I will just nap the rest of the day...



And then the same thing from Riley...


Can't you see I'm melting here...


And of course it never seems to bother the Bean (Miles) - he was on the old bed which is higher and closer to the ceiling fan comfy as can be..

 


Well a storm blew through and it's still hot but the a/c isn't going on yet! I do believe it's supposed to cool off a bit tomorrow - at least we are hoping!

Wishing everyone a great weekend! Tomorrow my plans are to wake up "cold-free" and get things done for a change! (Hey, I'm trying to think positive here!)

11 comments:

The Cinnamon Stick said...

See my sad face (<_>)....it is because you are feeling bad...Hope the sunshine today chased that cold away!! Hope to see you soon...I have 20 lids ready for you! XO, Judy

corinna said...

get better...i have had the same crud for 13 days now
hack-hack ,cough -cough
i am ready for it to go away
just want to rest and nap- to much effort to stitch

love your male hooker
had to show hubby as he started knitting---gives him a sense of fellowship out there :0)

primitivebettys said...

I do hope you are feeling better soon. So sorry you have been so sick dear friend. hugs of healing to ya...

Jacque. said...

oh, Joanne, you poor sick thing, you. I sure hope you feel better tomorrow!!! What kind of designs are you thinking for the chairpads? How fun and interesting that will be for you! And, you won at Bingo...YAY! Hope you have a good weekend.

WoolenSails said...

Sinus colds are not fun, get better soon.
That is a neat place for a hook in.
I made a few chair pads, but with my family and kitties, they don't last;)

Debbie

weaverpat said...

Hey, Woman! We miss you here in C-burg! You could have come to the hook-in. We would have worn masks!!! LOL!!!
Sounds like you were pretty busy in spite of being sick.
I hope you get to feeling better. Zip had the coughing and hacking stuff and it took about a week. So you are due to be OVER IT!
Have a good weekend!!!

moosecraft said...

Great to hear you have an order for chairpads! Once you get going, you'll be done in no time... so don't worry about taking some time to heal. 700 applicants for one job is scary... at least you got in for an interview! Love the castle! Hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Feel better Joanne~~ We did miss you at the hook in! Still praying for you to be the "one" out of the 700 applicants for the job :). Enjoy your weekend and rest up!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Hope you start feeling better soon so you can get back to enjoying working on your projects.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Joanne ~
Hope you're feeling better!
How did the job interview go? I hope you wowwed them!!!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

The Cinnamon Stick said...

Getting worried about you....??? Hope you are feeling better...XO, Judy