I'm finally about 97% over that cold - it lasted way to long and drained too much of my energy - I hate just laying around and doing nothing but felt awful and that's all i did for over two weeks. I did manage to read a bunch of books so that's something but it certainly doesn't get the chores done!
Without going into details, for the past couple months been dealing with some issues other than the cold and was really getting down about it. Things however are looking up - finally had an appointment with a specialist and feel things are getting back on the right track. I feel so much better about things - actually feeling really good about it - nothing to complain about on my end (except dealing with the damn insurance companies - that's another story for another day!) and that being said, moving on...
This being Memorial weekend, there are always a lot of yard sales and flea markets in the area - so the past two days decided to get up early (courtesy of the "wet nose" Jonesy - better than an alarm clock) and go out and enjoy the sunshine and treasures to be found! Thought I would share some of them....
An old child's blackboard - it does stand alone but i decided to hang it on the wall - just need to get some chalk to hang on the end of the string! The front door is right there too so will be good to write things down to "remember"! This was a $5 find. (Oh and that's the shelf I got at the Cinnamon Stick (Spice Cupboard Blog) I think Judy said it was made from a tool box???? The items on the shelf are gifts from friends which I'm sure I shared previously).
I hardly ever find anything rug hooking related but found this old book for a whopping $0.50! Most of the rugs in it are not my style but will be fun reading through it.
Love when I find stuff like this - found these two old quilts for $5 each! The one on the left is bright and vibrant and all hand quilted - all those little squares to sew together (machine sewn however) It's a lightweight quilt with just a backing and in great shape. The one on the right - the red one is more a "cutter quilt" some damage in some of the fabrics in the blocks and also some fading here and there - it has batting and a backing - it's all hand stitched and quilted but the binding is machine stitched! Probably will just fold it and stick it somewhere as it still has enough character not to cut apart in my opinion! She had about 4 other quilts and quilt tops but they just didn't "sing" to me - The colors were unappealing (to me at least) May have to stop back tomorrow - she said she had more to bring out! These are hanging over my railing on the deck drying as I just washed them.
Just had to buy this small "machete" - My husband was joking he needed a machete to get thru the weeds and grass outside after all the rain - it was always too wet to mow - Anyway - got each of these for $0.25 a piece. I bought the little saw for ME! Everytime I need to saw something small my husband hands me this huge saw! So I told him to keep this somewhere in the basement I have access to it!
This 'find" I was tickled pink with - A child's size table and chair. I asked the man how much the table and chair was and he responded he hadn't a clue as his Dad just dropped it off and he said "Well it's really old" - so i'm thinking it's going to be way too expensive. Don't you just love when they say "Well's it's really old"! So he asked how much would I give him for it. I'm thinking oh here it comes i'll say something and he'll say something higher. So I told him I really don't know and continued to walk around - he comes over and says I can have it for $5! Woohoo! I said SOLD! (And secretly felt bad for thinking he wanted an arm and a leg and then felt guilty like I was getting away with something! hahahaha) Love it - I actually have an old chair from my grandparents house that is full size (without the brace) that looks like this chair. Well I brought it in and put it in the living room. On top is a gorgeous penny rug that my friend Debbie (Woolensails blog) gave me a few years ago and the hooked cat is from another friend Cathy (Hooked on Primitives). I also picked up the basket underneath from another yard sale and the little mustard colored box for $0.25. Those probably won't be staying there - just trying out different things until I get the look just right!
I love to read and please remind me to never buy books for more than $0.25 a piece - just wait for Yard Sales! I tell you - I went to this one community yard sale in Stonersville - and I swear it was like visiting the library - everyone and their neighbor had a ton of books for sale. I could have saved myself a lot of money if I didn't already have or read some of them! (normally I go to the paperback trader and it's half of the cover price) They had so many good books in this community and new ones too boot! LOL Anyway got a pile of books to add to the pile I already have to read!
I also found some different odds and ends, like spools of thread for my sewing machine (3 for $0.25 - you can't beat that),, a crock, a ginger beer bottle, a DVD for my husband, and more - I don't think i even spent $25 this weekend on treasures - I so love a bargain!
Lots of roadside stands with fresh veggies and fruit too which is nice - As they say - buy from your local farmer!
Oh and did I mention I won the jackpot this week at Bingo! Yes I did! I won $500 and also did I mention I won the jackpot last week too (but had to split it with someone so only won $250!) It's funny whenever I win a bingo game one or two other people usually yell "BINGO" at the same time so it gets split - so last week when I won 1/2 the jackpot,. I was so happy even though I had to share and then lightning did strike twice - I won ALONE this past Wednesday! What are the odds two weeks in a row!
Wishing everyone a nice, relaxing Memorial Weekend!








6 comments:
Oh, Joanne! You find the BEST STUFF at yard sales! All I ever find is baby clothes- boohoo!
Love that little table and chair, and the chalkboard, and the quilts. Just too cool!
Glad you are feeling better!!!
We miss you at the Thurs. hook-ins!
Great finds Joanne!! Wish we had stuff around here like that. Like Pat said, just baby clothes lol.
Love the quilts and that table and hair. Too sweet!
Hope you get up early again tomorrow and head on out. You never know.... You won twice at Bingo, there may be a super super deal just waiting for you tomorrow :). Sooo happy you are feeling better!!!
Joanne ~
Oh, you found some real treasures. I love the blackboard and the child's table and chair is just too cute ~ especially for $5 !!! I just love that shelf you showed with the kitties.
So glad you are feeling better. Congrats on your bingo winnings ~ lucky you! Now you can go buy more treasures. I'm like Pat and Kathy ~ I rarely find anything good at a garage sale.
Happy Memorial Day!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
WOW! What a fun post to read...you're feeling better, you won at bingo, you scored at yard sales...what could be better? YAY for you!
Great stuff Joanne! Love that child's table and chair set! Boy oh boy did you ever get a great bargain on that! Those strawberries are making me hungry... wish I could reach in my computer and grab some for my morning cereal! LOL!
Oh My !! The shelf looks great and the easel looks great hanging on the wall. (I have boxes and boxes of old colored chalk - please ask for some your next visit)!! When someone buys a slateboard from us I give them a box (you don't have to buy a slateboard...LOL!!)
The child's table and chair....thumbs up girl!!!! AND..
B I N G O - woohoo!!!!
Post a Comment