Sunday, February 28, 2010

New York Trip

Well I better start thinking of planning my annual trip to New York and thought I would ask for some input as it's coming up quicking (Weekend of 3/20)

This year will be the sixth year attending this ABC Daytime Broadway Cares event.   It's a great event and for a great cause.  It's the actors and actresses from ABC Daytime (All My Children/One  LIfe to Live/General Hospital/The View) and they sing and dance and do skits.  You sometimes don't realize just how talented some of these actors are.   Often some stars from an ongoing Broadway show will perform also.  

Anyway - we usually attend this event and then a Broadway play.  We fill the days with lots of shopping and sightseeing.  I'm looking for some ideas for this year.

Any ideas?  Great places to eat?  A Great place to stay? Shop? Events? Anything off the beaten path?  A great play to see?  On or Off Broadway you could recommend? 

My friend and I have both done the normal sightseeing type things (Statue of Liberty, Museums, Empire State Building, etc.)  so not looking for the "norm"!

Last year we took the Sex and the City Bus tour, a previous year we went looking for Laura Fishers Antiques and Quilts (she has lots of antique hooked rugs and both us being rug hookers loved this), American Folk Art  Museum, andI can't even remember everything.

It's a big city with lots to do but love to have a some ideas.

Hoping everyone is having a great weekend - The sun is finally out here - earlier it was doing that "white thing" again!

8 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Joanne ~
No ideas, but oh, does that sound like fun!!! Lucky you.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Anonymous said...

There is so much to do in NYC, my hometown :) Have you been to central park? what about south st. seaport? Even just walking through the park would be an event, it is so beautiful. Take a horse and carraige ride. My sister used to live across the street from South St. Seaport. on a cobble street. Beautiful place right on the water. If it is warm take a ride on the speed boat, it is so much fun you do get wet so if it's cold do not go. Have you riden on the subway yet? I know many tourists are afraid to try but even if you go one stop just do it, it is exciting!! Have you shopped in the village or canal street, taken a walk in Little Italy? I could go and on.......now I have not lived in NYC in almost 20 yrs and have forgotten how to get here and there, train numbers have changed but I can always ask my sister more. Have you seen Wicked or Lion King yet?

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Joanne,
I haven't been to NYC in years but, I would like to go to Chelsea Market. I know they tape Emeril's show there and I think there are tours.

Anonymous said...

Joanne, are you going to the hook in in Lancaster on March 20th? IT is the woolwrights spring hook in.

Doris said...

Oh Joanne - sounds like such fun. I envy you. I don't have suggestions but a walk in Times Square at midnight is always fun.

Kathy (woolfind) said...

I was only to NY once. I vote for the carriage ride too. That was a lot of fun. Certainly beat the cab ride, OH MY! Won't ever do that again lol.
Will miss you greatly at the Woolwrights hook in. You better mark your calendar for Brandywine though :)!
Whatever you end up doing on your trip with your friend, I know you will have a blast!

WoolenSails said...

No idea, not a city girl;)
Sounds like fun though.

Debbie

sandy hanes said...

Hey,Joanne! I'm a country girl, but I LOVE visiting NYC. Be sure to check out Tinsel Trading, my (and Martha Stewart's) favorite shop. It's at 1 West 37th, near 5th. And for inspiration, there is Anthropologie at Rockefeller center.The window displays alone are worth a look.Can't help too much with where to eat. We eat deli and spend our money on shows and shopping!